There’s all this talk about replacing Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men like it’s so difficult. However, it is amazing how simple things are to fix with… WRITING.
I haven’t seen the most recent season of the show, but it seems that this type of thing ought to work:
- Charlie dies (no big surprise) to get him off the show. Alan gets the house by default.
- With every exit comes an entrance, in this case add in that Jake somehow got that cute neighbor girl pregnant and they now have a son that he is forced to raise on his own.
- Have the new child played by someone Gary Coleman-like.
- As time goes on, the difficulties of raising a son by himself make Jake grow more and more cynical like Charlie.
- Thus the show becomes the uncool grandpa Alan, the cool son Jake, and the precocious Gary Coleman grandchild.
- Jake was getting too old and talented to be the 1/2 man in the show’s title anyway.
Or they could take the more simple British method:
If Charlie Sheen was on Dr. Who, they’d just have another actor wake up in his clothes (that don’t fit the new actor) and then the new actor would just start playing Charlie Harper… differently. Done.